Good business strategies plot changes in where a company is going. A winning operational strategy translates that direction into operational reality, creating strategic competitive advantage in the process. Operational strategy finds new ways to structure business operations and economics to create better results in growth, earnings and valuation. The operational strategy should support an organisation's overall corporate strategy. It should define the tactics and processes to support the corporate strategy. The course is centered around the following topics:
- operational strategy: concepts and frame work
- competition, competencies and operations
- capacity sizing and investment
- capacity timing and expansion
- location, global networks and offshoring
- strategic sourcing and structuring of operational processes
- demand and revenue management
- process improvement and process innovation
Doelstellingen van dit vak
The course is directed at the following learning and competences:
- developing an awareness of the range, scope and complexity of the phenomena, issues and problems related to operational strategy;
- developing an integrated and process oriented perspective on managing complex projects and team work;
- acquiring competencies in the usage of tools, techniques, methods and models for operational strategy.
- Basic mathematics.
- Introduction to (operations) management.
- An advanced level of English.
- Jan A. van Mieghem, Operations Strategy: Priciples and practice, 2nd edition, 2015, Dynamic Ideas. ISBN: 9780989910866
- Reader with articles.