(International Classroom): Sapere Aude
This Philosophy in Action (PhiA) week of the second year is devoted to the book project. Students read an academic book and write a book review. In this book-review they identify and present the central line of argumentation, any relevant key-concepts of the book, as well as its main narrative. In addition they critically reflect on the content and the argument of the book and embed it in a broader context. To this end, students make use of the reflective capacities, they have developed during the previous PhiA weeks.
Students choose from a pre-given list of books, covering topics interensting and relevant for all four streams. During the week, they follow two lectures (general) on the relevance of academic books, the difference with academic journal articles and academic books and on the role and relevance of book-reviews. In two practical’s, students discuss the book under the supervision of a teacher and together with fellow-students. Based on these discussions and on a guideline on how to write a book-review, students individually write a book review.
During the week students read the book, gather surrounding informatin and write a book review. In addition, they collect and read additional literature that supports them in understanding the line of thought developed in the book as well as to embed it into its broader context. Before the start of the PhiA week at the opening lectures of bloc 2.5 the book-project will be briefly introduced and students will be presented with a list of books from which they can choose. All students are requested to have a version of their book at their disposal at the beginning of the PhiA week.
Doelstellingen van dit vak
Knowledge and insight
- Students gain insight in the relevance of academic books and book-reviews.
- Students gain insights in their book of choice and the line of thought and argument developed therein.
Application of knowledge and insight
- Student scan identify the content, central concepts and main line of thought of their chosen book.
- Student scan embed the content of their chosen book in a broader context of health science in general and their stream in particular.
Formation of judgement
- Students are able to formulate a critical evaluation of the relevance and possible limitations of their book. They base this evaluation on their knowledge gained in previous PhiA courses, previous health science courses and further own reflection.
- Student scan present in writing the content, central concepts and main line of thought of their book in a clear way.
- Students can found their critical evaluation by means of clear and adequate arguments.
- Presence and active participation during the practicals
- Grading of the individual assignment (fail, pass, excellent)
A list of books that are to be reviewed will be made available at the blokopening of blok 2.5. Students choose additional literature themselves based on a) referencelist of the choosen book b) known literature from previous PhiA courses, c) known literature from other health science courses, d) independent literature search.