Are you looking for a new challenge in addition to your school work? Would you like to study at Maastricht University for a few days? Then you might be interested in TeenzCollege: an English-language programme for ambitious and talented high school students.
TeenzCollege puts major current themes in historical perspective, drawing parallels between primarily the Second World War and today’s day and age. Five faculties of Maastricht University provide lectures and assignments on various topics including populism, refugees, racism, alliances, money, power and evil. TeenzCollege zooms in on the so-called stumbling stones, known in Dutch as ‘struikelsteentjes’, brass plates the size of cobblestones sunk into pavements outside the homes of Nazi victims whose names they bear. These plates can be found throughout the Netherlands, including in Maastricht. They serve as a way to commemorate the victims and learn from our past.
- We start with our regular kick-off meeting. On the first day, you will attend speeches, join one of the tutorial groups that will be formed, have a tutor allocated to you, and take part in team-building activities. In addition, you will receive an introduction to the famed Problem-Based Learning system of Maastricht University.
- In the following five meetings, you will attend lectures given by professors and relating to the topics of the tutorial meetings of that week. Afterwards, you will discuss your findings from the prescribed literature and talk about that week’s assignment in your group. Those meetings are all supervised by two (international) tutors studying in Maastricht.
- In the three subsequent meetings you will learn how to conduct scientific research on the same theme, within the fields of psychology, genetics or big data. The results of your group's research will be presented on large posters.
- TeenzCollege ends with a closing ceremony in which you present your poster and answer questions from your family, friends and teachers. You will receive a certificate signed by the Rector Magnificus of Maastricht University, Rianne Letschert.
For whom: VWO 4 students who are looking for a challenge and are interested in the theme Second World
Costs: 25 euro per participant
When: 9 afternoons and 1 evenening in January - April 2018:
- 16, 23 en 30 January from 13.00 - 15.30
- 6 February from 13.00 - 15.30
- 6, 13, 20 and 27 March from 13.00 - 15.30
- 3 April from 13.00 - 15.30 uur and 10 April from 19.00 - 21.00 uur.