Communication and Leadership Skills
Full course descriptionThis skills training focuses on developing the interpersonal communication skills which leaders in all kinds of organisations should possess in order to achieve the organisation’s objectives. This includes:
- the ability to identify when a problem should be solved by the leader and when problem-solving should be delegated to the subordinate;
- the ability to facilitate problem solving by subordinates by making use of listening skills;
- the ability to confront people when they display behaviour that is unacceptable by making use of sending skills;
- the ability to deal with the subordinate’s response to being confronted by means of switching between a sending and a listening posture; and
- the ability to turn conflict into cooperation.
Note: Role plays will be part of this skill.
Course objectivesCommunication and leadership are, among others, key skills of managers, chairpersons in meetings, coordinators of project teams -in fact- all employees being a leader or not.
The objectives of the course are therefore:
1. To introduce students to some of the theories and empirical research on communication and leadership.
2. To create awareness of the participant’s communication style.
3. To increase the effectiveness of the participant’s communication and leadership skills.