Full course description
In this course, the role of dietary and lifestyle factors to prevent age-related diseases in humans will be considered, as well as underlying mechanisms. In addition, it will be addressed how this knowledge can be translated into different forms of dietary support in a clinical setting. Specific attention will be given to a relevant article discussing dietary intervention trials. Examples from real-life situations will used, while a visit to the research unit in Maastricht will be scheduled.
- To examine the impact of dietary and lifestyle factors on age-related diseases in humans
- To understand how nutrition prevents diseases by exploring underlying mechanisms
- To critically evaluate a research article discussing dietary interventions in health/disease
- To explore how the impact of diet on health can be studied in a metabolic research unit
VSC1101 Introduction to Biology.
- Students are not required to buy a specific book
- Original research articles will be used