Full course description
This course is designed to assist students in polishing their academic writing skills. You will more than likely have already written a number of papers for various courses before attending this course; therefore, this course will not review the very basics of writing or grammar. Rather, this skill´s training course will focus on advanced levels of different types of writing to help students look deeper into style while writing in grammatically correct English, and re-visit successful means of argumentation in an academic context.
During this advanced writing course, students will
- Deepen academic writing skills appropriate for academic exchanges: understanding how to report on approaches, conduct a short literature review (individual) and write a research proposal (individual)
- Learn to use the analysis of the data to support a scientific hypothesis, as well as correct use of grammar and spelling
- Learn relevant paraphrasing and summarizing techniques
- Practise how to cite properly together with how to write proper references
- Give and receive feedback on academic writing.
Recommended: Fowler, H. R., & Aaron, J. E. (2004). The Little, Brown Handbook (9th ed, or higher). New York: PearLongman. Any other course hand-outs or materials will be provided via Student Portal
- A.J. Simpson