Full course descriptionLogic and mathematical reasoning, sequences, differential calculus of functions of one variable.
Course objectivesLearn the concepts and techniques in the field of differential calculus that are prerequisite for ‘probability theory’, ‘(applied) statistics’, ‘mathematical economics’ and ‘operations research’.
Obtain the right attitude with respect to (abstract) mathematics.
Learn to write down a correct mathematical reasoning.
Learn to give (simple) proofs.
Prerequisites- Perform basic arithmetic operations and simplify algebraic expressions.
- Perform basic arithmetic operations with fractions.
- Solve simple (in)equalities.
- Manipulate exponentials and logs.
- Recognise the main characteristics of the graph of a function.
- Apply the arithmetic rules for differentiating functions.
- Optimize a function of one variable.
- Evaluate elementary integrals.