Language & Professional Skills: Student Support Programme
Full course description
This first year of the three-year Student Support Programme focuses on the main challenges that students may encounter when transitioning to a university environment – specifically to a PBL environment. Through a combination of group meetings with the mentor group, individual meetings with the mentor, and collective meetings with the full cohort, students are guided through their first year in academia. The mentor and the student together monitor the progress and acclimatization of the student in the BA European Studies. Furthermore, students are encouraged to think about their further academic career, by attending meetings about second-year activities and related choices to be made. By means of keeping a portfolio, students are asked to reflect upon different issues regarding their learning experience, their study skills, their challenges, and their opportunities.
At the end of the mentor programme you will possess the skills to:
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses, and describe a course of action, related to your generic skills and competences.
- Manage your work and time effectively and efficiently.
- Actively and constructively work in international teams, by contributing to collective learning processes, and by being able to take up specific responsibilities, such as acting as a chair, proving and receiving feedback, and taking minutes.
- Describe a course of action in order to continue your studies in subsequent years of the BA and, ultimately, if you wish to continue your studies, at Master level.
- Perform a profession requiring a BA-level degree.
- Burns, T., & Sinfield, S. (2012). Essential study skills. The complete guide to success at university. (3rd ed.). London: SAGE.
- Cottrell, S. (2013). The study skills handbook. (4th ed.). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Moust, J.H.C., Bouhuijs, P.A.J., & Schmidt, H.G. (2007). Introduction to problem-based learning. A guide for students. Groningen: Noordhoff Uitgevers.
- M.M.M. Oostindie
- C.W. van Leeuwen