Capita Selecta in Life Sciences
Full course description
Capita Selecta is unique and addresses trending topics in the (bio)chemical, biotechnology or the imaging field. For example, it may cover a recent virus outbreak or a profound breakthrough in biotechnology, such as CRISPR, or the latest Nobel prize in Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine. Students will quickly explore a ‘hot topic’. Students will acquaint themselves with the theoretical basis of the subject. If possible, they will critically investigate news coverage (from scientific papers to popular news flashes) and discuss the media reports. To acquaint the students better with the current trends and research, there will be visits to companies/laboratories that are involved.
The objective of this skill is to acquire insight into trending topics:
- Critical reading (literature)
- To quickly comprehend and discuss a new topic
- Debate the news coverage (objectivity, bias, fear spreading, prediction models)
- Predict effects in the near future based on current insights
- Obtain some hands-on experience in a trending topic
- Laboratory visit or field trip to places that work on the topic. Examples: MUMC+ coronavirus testing or Brightlands CryoSol startup company.
As the nature of this skill is a ‘hot topic’, the literature recommendation are of a digital nature; ‘trending topics’ related to biochemistry, biotechnology and imaging in the news, such as:
At the start students will be provided with a list of literature, relevant to the topic.