Full course description
This course takes a critical making perspective to connect thinking and making, two modalities of engaging with the world that are typically considered separately, creating an artificial distinction between conceptual and material exploration. Using a project-based approach in which you will be actively involved in the process of making, this course will delve into theoretical and methodological aspects of maker culture, emphasizing the shared act of making as a process of critical inquiry, decision-making, and reflection.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Develop a critical understanding of maker culture, its current cultural and social context and its role in the 21st century knowledge production.
- Apply the concept of critical making to reflect on and analyze the value of technology designs as well as your own practice.
- Use design thinking as a method to respond to problems and create (digital) solutions.
- Conceptualize and make (digital) objects collaboratively and reflect critically on your own digital objects and the making process.
- Bogers, L. & Chiappini, L. (2019). Introduction. In Bogers, L. & L. Chiappini (eds.), The critical makers reader: (un)learning technology. Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, pp. 8-12.
- Jenkins, T. & Bogost, I. (2015). Escaping the Sandbox: Making and its Future. TEI '15, January 16 – 19, 2015, Stanford, CA, USA https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2677199.2680558
- Ratto, M. & Hertz, G. (2019). Critical Making and Interdisciplinary Learning: Making as a Bridge Between Art, Science, Engineering, and Social Interventions. In Bogers, L. & Chiappini, L. (eds), The Critical Makers Reader: (Un) learning Technology. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, pp. 18-28. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220175067_Critical_Making_Conceptual_and_Material_Studies_in_Technology_and_Social_Life.
- Richterich, A., & Wenz, K. (2017). Making and Hacking: Introduction. Digital Culture & Society, 3(1), 5-21. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14361/dcs-2017-0102