Advanced Organic Synthesis
Full course description
This skill will contain:
- Advanced synthetic chemistry of various organic reaction types.
- Multi-step organic synthesis.
- Synthesis and handling of reactive compounds under inert atmosphere.
- Extensive use of spectroscopic characterization (therefore it is recommended to already have experience in operating the IR and NMR in the chemelot labs).
The main objective of this skill is to provide a solid foundation in multi-step organic synthesis. Most organic compounds cannot be prepared in a single step. Instead, a sequence of reactions has to be designed to obtain these materials. Some of these steps may require complex chemistry, very reactive intermediates or inert atmospheres. This course focuses on these special situations.
- PRA2002 Chemical Synthesis
- CHE3001 Organic Reactions
- Practical laboratory instructions.
- For students intending on continuing and specializing in organic chemistry, a practical book, such as “Multiscale Operational Organic Chemistry” by John W. Lehman (Pearson, 2nd edition, 2009) may be interesting.