Writing a Research Proposal
Full course description
You will learn to write a professional research proposal.
In the project context of applying for a research grant, the focus will lie on the process steps of writing a research proposal, and communicating a clear research focus, both in writing, as well as via a short personal proposal presentation (pitch).
The outcome will be a research proposal that could be submitted to an external Grants office, such as the UM Universiteitsfonds.
At the end of this project… :
- Students are aware of the importance of analyzing a real-life problem sufficiently in order to formulate an adequate research question and hypotheses in the context of an academic grant proposal;
- Students will have practiced presenting their research focus and answering critical questions, both in writing and verbally;
- Students will have developed abilities needed to successfully complete a research proposal (planning, writing, evaluating, presenting);
- Students have improved relevant soft skills (planning, communication, as well as providing and processing peer feedback).
- VSK2004 Academic writing
Recommended: VSK2001 Argumentation
No essential reading list is provided. Depending on their topic of choice, students are expected to search for and identify credible and relevant sources by themselves, and arrive at a short list of required reading.
- Fowler, H. R., & Aaron, J. E. (2004). The Little, Brown Handbook (9th ed, or higher). New York: PearLongman.
- Kumar R. Research Methodology – a step-by-step guide for beginners. ISBN9781446269978