Elective Track Mc Master University Canada
Full course description
In addition to the core courses offered at Maastricht students will have the opportunity to enhance their knowledge about specific topics through a choice of one of eleven elective tracks. These eleven tracks are carefully selected to avoid overlap with the core programme, yet ensuring relevant contribution to the core programme.
McMaster University offers three out of those eleven tracks:
Globalization and Development. This track builds on he Governing Health in Global context offered in Maastricht and focuses on cultural, political, social and economic globalization processes in the contemporary era and how they impact health and health care. Courses include: “Global governance", "Global Social Policy”, "Refugee health policies and practice" and “Development theory and administration".
Global Health Management. This track introduces students to management and policy skills, including a fundamental understanding of the entrepreneurial capacities needed to manage projects related to health care and education. The track has a rather business oriented focus and differs in that respect from the “leadership and organization” track in Maastricht. Courses include “Health economics and evaluation”; “Health Care Funding and Research Allocation", "Management of Population Health” and "Health Care Marketing”.
Global Disease. This track builds on the New biology/New Society?” track in Maastricht and involves the study of endemic tropical diseases as well as other diseases that tend to afflict underdeveloped countries. The threat to public health of existing, new, and re-emerging diseases will be emphasized. Course include “Medical Microbiology”, "Global Burden of Disease"; "Refugee Health Policies ad Practice" and “Vaccines and Vaccine Immunology”.
Depending on the track:
Globalization and Development:
- aquirement of knowledge of and insight in the impact of globalisation on economic development, health, healthcare and education in low income settings
Global Health Management:
- Aquirement of Knowlegde of and insigth in Global Health policy, management, economy and marketing form a business perspective.
- To develop skills to manage health related projects (health care marketing, strategic and financial decission making)
- Aquirement of knowledge of and insight in the helath threats from existing, new and reemerging diseases.
- Aquirement of knowledge of and get insight in the impact of chronic disease on devlopment in low income settings