Management of Organisations
Full course description
The course Management of Organisations aims to stimulate your critical thinking and personal development rather than providing clear-cut management recipes. You will be confronted with paradoxes that will aid your development. We will discuss the dilemmas that managers face in the changing management environment. Examples of topics that will be discussed are: management myths and realities, paradox, design, teams, learning, leadership, and corporate social responsibility.
During the course you will:
- Learn about (new) approaches to management thinking and practice in a challenging and engaging way.
- Conduct reasonably sophisticated discussions about the dilemmas managers face.
- Learn to put critical notes where necessary.
- Apply management concepts for understanding and analysing organisational practice
- Bring some of the concepts into practice in the facilitation of a tutorial session.
- Take your first steps in learning to manage (personal) paradoxes.
- Develop your ability to read academic articles.
The course builds upon articles from academic journals and the business press and a textbook.
The course builds upon articles from academic journals and and the business press.