Writing a Master's Thesis Proposal: Management of Learning
Full course description
Content: Students start the master’s project in a skills course dedicated to issues of conducting academic research in one of the relevant research fields. Attention is paid to methods of data gathering, data analysis, data evaluation, and research design. Writing a project proposal is another important ingredient in this course.
The skills course is dedicated to the development of academic skills necessary to write a master thesis.
- Workshops on the different subjects resulting in a master thesis proposal.
- Formative assessment: feedback on the thesis proposal.
- Summative assessment: acceptance vs. rejection of research proposal by supervisor.
Link with qualifications
- Scientific knowledge
- Academic reasoning
- Research skills
On EleUM, students are provided with literature and materials that help them to write their master thesis (e.g, APA-guidelines, referencing software, examples of good articles and master theses etc.) and to analyse their data. Resources are categorized according to different research methods and methods of analysis. In each section, students find helpful materials such as
- books and articles that explain how to run analyses
- demonstration videos and/or
- sample articles on how to report your analyses
An overview of the resources can be found on EleUM under ‘Skill MA Thesis: Management of Learning (EBS 4005)’ (www.eleum.unimaas.nl).