Introductory Data Science & Statistics
Full course description
This course aims to teach in an interactive, hands-on manner basic skills needed in working with and analyzing data. The course starts with steps to "clean" data, and to describe its properties using statistics and visualization. The course then introduces basic forms of inferential statistics. Throughout the course, the Stata statistical package will be used. The course prepares the student directly for the courses on Regression Analysis and Public Policy Analysis.
The course aims to:
- introduce students to the Stata statistical package;
- give students experience in working with real-world datasets used for policy analysis and making;
- give students a package of tools and steps to take to detect and remove problems in large datasets;
- teach students how to visualize data in a way that communicates a clear message even to statistically illiterate recipients;
- present students with essential concepts in descriptive statistics;
- introduce students to basic inferential statistics.
Smith, Gary. 2015. Essential Statistics, Regression, and Econometrics, 2nd edition. San Diego, CA: Academic Press