Full course description
Conferences are important scientific events where researchers (and sometimes professionals) meet to share the state of the art of their field. Conferences are used to remain up to date with the latest discoveries in one’s field, but they also provide unique opportunities for research collaborations.
Conferences generally organized by scientific societies. After a call for proposals a process of peer review leads to a selected group of invited speakers, poster presenters, etc. In some scientific societies, the conference is rounded up by the writings of conference proceedings. After the publication in peer reviewed journals, the presenting of research findings at an official conference is regarded one of the most important peer reviewed publications.
Throughout this semester, you will organize the Campus Venlo Liberal Arts and Sciences Conference. With the conference group, you will write an extensive plan for the annual Campus Venlo Conference (main focus of course VSK3001) to be held in the third period of this semester. In small groups, you will develop and organize a workshop for the conference (main focus of course VSK3002). You will organize and execute the Campus Venlo Conference (course VPR3001).
Conference is a semester communication program carrying 10 ECTS. Conference encompasses two Skills of each 2.5 ECTS and one Project (5 ECTS) offered during a semester.
- To train students in skills required for preparing an academic conference.
- To give students the opportunity to position their interest within a field of their choice and academic fields in general and express that by means of activities at a conference such as lectures and workshops.
- To train students to work together and set up a plan for a conference.
- To train students in using a framework for instructional design and apply its principles to their individual contributions to the conference.
- To train students in writing lesson plans for their individual contributions to the conference and the plenary sessions that will be offered.
- To train students in working together on preparing and executing a conference.
VSK3001 Preparing Conference I; VSK3002 Preparing Conference II
The Conference project is preferably done during the second year (or the third year) of your study programme. VPR3001 is the actual execution of the UCV Liberal Arts and Sciences Conference. This Conference is organized during the preceding courses VSK3001, during which you learn skills in Project Work and develop the conference plan, and VSK3002 you proceed in the organization of the Conference and develop your workshop.
Project-specific literature will be used.