Basic Dutch for Students
Full course description
This course is perfect if you want to acquire a basic understanding of Dutch and prefer studying on your own. The focus of the course is on speaking and listening. During homework, some training of your reading and writing skills is included. The course is less intensive than DUT1003, the regular Dutch course for students (only half the contact hours and also half the credits). The groups are a bit bigger and there is more emphasis on (online) self-study (so-called ‘blended learning’). After the first Module you reach language proficiency level A minus (versus level A in the regular Dutch course).
You will have 7 classes (1 class per week). Each class will be 2 hours, so 14 contact hours in total. On average you will need 3-4 hours per class for your homework. In most cases, there will be between 16 and 20 people in your group. Instructional format: classes and self-study.
CEFR attainment level after Module 1: A1 minus, after Module 2: A1.
- Listening: You can recognize familiar words and very basic phrases concerning yourself, your family and immediate concrete surroundings when people speak slowly and clearly.
- Reading: You can understand familiar names, words and very simple sentences, for example on notices and posters or in catalogues.
- Speaking (spoken interaction): You can interact in a simple way provided the other person is prepared to repeat or rephrase things at a slower rate of speech and help you formulate what you are trying to say. You can ask and answer simple questions in areas of immediate need or on very familiar topics.
- Speaking (spoken production): You can use simple phrases and sentences to describe where you live and people you know.
- Writing: You can write a short, simple postcard, for example sending holiday greetings. You can fill in forms with personal details, for example entering your name, nationality and address on a hotel registration form.
To receive a certificate, you must actively participate in 90% of the sessions and satisfactorily complete all homework and tests.
There is one main book: Start.nl – Deel 1 (part 1). This book is website based, so make sure you buy a new book (not second hand). Since the code to get access to the website is a personal code, you cannot use the code in a used book.