- Psychopharmacology, Clinical and Experimental
- Addiction, Drugs of abuse, impulse control
- Human drug trials, Human performance, behavioral toxicology
- Drugs and driving, Traffic psychology
Dr Jan Ramaekers has been co-promoter and principal investigator of a number of PhD research programs at the Faculty of Psychology & Neuroscience, Maastricht University. His work focuses on behavioral toxicology of drugs and combines methods from psychopharmacology, forensic toxicology and neuroscience to determine drug induced changes in human performance. Example of research lines include:
- Neurocognition in cannabis users: This line of research focuses on THC induced neurocognitive deficits and susceptibility for cannabis dependence as a function of cannabis use history, genetic variation in dopamine metabolism and cannabis cue exposure.
- Neuropsychopharmacology of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA): This work focuses on cognitive impairments and pro-social effects of MDMA during intoxication and the neuropharmacology underlying MDMA induced changes in behavior.
- Impaired motorists: A range of placebo controlled studies have been conduced to assess drug induced driving impairment as determined in on-the-road driving tests and neurocognitive tasks. The work provides a strong scientific rationale for international harm classification systems of medicinal drug effects on driver safety and per se legislation for driving under the influence of drugs.
For more information on our research group:
References to European research programs:
- Addiction and lifestyles in contemporary Europe (ALICE RAP): www.alicerap.eu
- Driving under the influence of drug (DRUID): www.druid-project.eu
Most recent publications:
Olesti, E., Rodríguez-Morató, J., Gomez-Gomez, A., Ramaekers, J. G., de la Torre, R., & Pozo, O. J. (2019). Quantification of endogenous neurotransmitters and related compounds by liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. Talanta, 192, 93-102. DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2018.09.034
Vinckenbosch, F., Wingen, M., van der Sluiszen, N., Vermeeren, A., Jongen, S., & Ramaekers, J. G. (2019). Langdurig gebruik van tweedegeneratieantidepressiva en rijvaardigheid. Neuropraxis, 1-5. DOI: 10.1007/s12474-018-00212-0
Vermeeren, A., Jongen, S., Murphy, P., Moline, M., Filippov, G., Pinner, K., ... Vuurman, E. F. P. M. (2018). On-the-road driving performance the morning after bedtime administration of lemborexant in healthy adult and elderly volunteers. Sleep (Online), 1-30. DOI: 10.1093/sleep/zsy260
Strand, M. C., Vindenes, V., Gjerde, H., Mørland, J. G., & Ramaekers, J. G. (2018). A clinical trial on the acute effects of methadone and buprenorphine on actual driving and cognitive function of healthy volunteers. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. DOI: 10.1111/bcp.13818
Olesti, E., De Toma, I., Ramaekers, J. G., Brunt, T. M., Carbó, M. L., Fernández-Avilés, C., ... de la Torre, R. (2018). Metabolomics predicts the pharmacological profile of new psychoactive substances. Journal of Psychopharmacology. DOI: 10.1177/0269881118812103
Dolder, P. C., de Sousa Fernandes Perna, E. B., Mason, N. L., Hutten, N. R. P. W., Toennes, S. W., Theunissen, E. L., ... Kuypers, K. P. C. (2018). Independent elevation of peripheral oxytocin concentrations and reduction in cognitive empathy during 4-fluoroamphetamine intoxication. Human Psychopharmacology-Clinical and Experimental, 33(6), [e2680]. DOI: 10.1002/hup.2680
Kloft, L., Garbaciak, A., Otgaar, H., Monds, L., & Ramaekers, J. (2018). Memory illusions in cannabis users: a Dutch field study. Drug and Alcohol Review, 37, S41-S42.
Vermeeren, A., Vuurman, E., Jongen, S., Van Leeuwen, C., Van Oers, A., Ramaekers, J., ... Pinner, K. (2018). Results from an on-road driving performance study in non-elderly and elderly healthy subjects with dual orexin receptor antagonist lemborexant. Journal of Sleep Research, 27(S1), 137. DOI: 10.1111/jsr.12751
Di Fazio, V., Wille, S. M. R., Toennes, S. W., van Wel, J. H. P., Ramaekers, J. G., & Samyn, N. (2018). Driving under the influence of cocaine: quantitative determination of basic drugs in oral fluid obtained during roadside controls and a controlled study with cocaine users. Drug Testing and Analysis, 10(8), 1285-1296. DOI: 10.1002/dta.2379
Kuypers, K. P. C., de Sousa Fernandes Perna, E. B., Dolder, P. C., Toennes, S. W., Theunissen, E. L., Mason, N. L., ... Ramaekers, J. G. (2018). Drug liking and wanting, not impulsive action or reflection is increased by 4-fluoroamphetamine. Psychopharmacology, 235(8), 2349-2356. DOI: 10.1007/s00213-018-4931-7