Incoming staff

Are you a non-Dutch national and will you soon be employed by Maastricht University (UM)? 

The university’s Knowledge Centre for International Staff (KCIS) will assist you with various procedures that are required to work and live in the Netherlands legally. We can also provide you with further information on a variety of topics you might encounter when moving to and living in the Netherlands.

Your HR adviser will inform KCIS about your employment contract at UM. KCIS will then guide you through the following procedures where relevant.

More information about living in Maastricht
Visit Life@UM

More information about Dutch research and higher education
Read the Beginner's Guide to Dutch Academia

Modern Migration Policy

from June 2013, under the ‘Modern Migration Policy’ (MoMi), Maastricht University acts as a sponsor for all its international staff who hold one of the following Dutch residence permits:

  • ‘Kennismigrant - highly skilled knowledge migrant’ (including orientation year/’zoekjaar’),
  • ‘Onderzoeker in de richtlijn EG 2005/71’, or
  • ‘Arbeid in loondienst’.

If you are a Maastricht University employee and have one of the above residence permits, or is Maastricht University applying for one such permit for you? Please be aware that you are subject to the rights and obligations under the ‘Dutch Migration Policy’. Read the information on this website carefully.