Data Science Research Competition 2020
The Institute of Data Science at Maastricht University is holding a competition for innovative research proposals that use data science to tackle key problems of societal relevance. We invite interdisciplinary teams to submit proposals using computational data science approaches to draw new conclusions or hypotheses from the data. To empower women in the data science field, all teams need to have at least 50% female(-identifying) members. An award valued at € 5,000 (sponsored by University Fund Limburg) will be presented at the Women in Data Science conference on 5 March 2020. The winners will be invited to present their proposal at the conference.
Proposals are open to all students and employees at Maastricht University, but must involve at least 50% female(-identifying) members and members from two or more disciplines. If you win the competition, you are obliged to use the award money for further development of the project, as outlined in your submission.
The proposal should be prepared with font size Arial 10pt, single spacing, and must at least include the following elements:
- Title: Title of the proposal
- Research team: Full names, affiliations, email addresses, expertise, and gender
- An abstract (max. 150 words)
- Minimum 3 keywords
Proposal (max. 700 words, not including references):
- The main objective of proposed research (what is the research problem?)
- The significance of the problem (why is the problem worth solving?)
- The research plan (how will you address the problem?)
- The research team (who will be working on the problem?)
- The innovation in the proposed research (what new methodology is being developed?)
- The anticipated results along with short and long term benefits
Please use the submission template for submitting your proposal. The proposal must be uploaded as a PDF-file. Submit your proposals before 19 December 2019, 23:59 hrs CEST via EasyChair.
Selection and Prize
All proposals will be peer-reviewed and assessed by at least two reviewers. The winners will be notified on 20 February 2020 and are invited to present their proposal at the WiDS conference on 5 March 2020. The winners will receive the Data Science Research proposal award of € 5,000 (sponsored by University Fund Limburg) to be used to obtain preliminary results or further development of the research proposal.