The admission requirements for the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making depend on your prior qualifications. Please check below whether additional requirements apply to you. Also check the required documents under Admission and registration.
Note: You must pass you bachelor’s exam by 31 August at the latest for the September intake or by 31 January for the February intake.
Graduates from related programmes at Maastricht, Hasselt and Aachen universities
Graduates from the following bachelor’s programmes are directly admissible:
- Data Science and Knowledge Engineering from Maastricht University, BSc
- Computer Science from Hasselt University, BSc
- Scientific Programing from Aachen University (MATSE), BSc
Graduates from other institutes:
Graduates from a university bachelor's programme in a related field
You will be considered eligible for admission by the Board of Admission if you have a BSc or an equivalent diploma in a programme whose content is a sufficient preparation for the Data Science for Decision Making master.
The relevant competences are:
- Mathematics: A strong background, including, but not limited to, calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics.
- Computer Science: Basic knowledge of data structures and algorithms, with some programming experience.
Bachelor's programmes in Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Artificial Intelligence, Econometrics, Engineering and Physics typically provide a sufficient preparation.
Graduates from a Dutch HBO in a related field
Excellent students with a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) degree in a related field, must additionally follow a one-semester pre-master programme at the Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering. Successful completion will give you access to the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making.
- In some cases, the Board might ask you to pass a GRE-test
- In case of deficiencies in your prior knowledge, the Board may require you to follow a one-semester pre-master programme at DKE
The pre-master programme is tailor-made based on your previous knowledge and skills. For more information, please contact boa[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl
1. Submit your curriculum vitae
All candidates must provide a cv. Please list your education, relevant extracurricular activities and internship/professional experience.
2. Write an essay of motivation
All candidates should write an essay of motivation, 2 pages in A4 format. Give good arguments about why you want to do this master's programme at Maastricht University, and why you expect that you can successfully complete the programme.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in English
This master is taught in English. You must therefore have a thorough active and passive command of English.
No additional evidence of sufficient command of the English language is required if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science at a University, or University of Applied Science in an EEA country
- You have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science programme for which English was the primary language of instruction
- English was the primary language of instruction for your pre-university education (such as in the UK, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand)
If you do not meet any of these criteria, you have to provide evidence of sufficient command of the English language. Approved tests are IELTS, TOEFL or the Cambridge CAE (Certificate in Advanced English). You have to prepare and register for these tests yourself. The minimum score required for each test is:
- IELTS: 6.5
- TOEFL: 90 (internet-based), 232 (computer-based), 575 (paper-based)
- Cambridge CAE: Grade C
The test should not be older than five years at the commencement date of the programme.
Plan your test in time. It can take some time before you get the results.
You can apply for a credit transfer if you have completed courses at a recognized and accredited higher education institution, which was similar in terms of content and level.
For more information please contact dke-exams[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl