The admission requirements for the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making depend on your prior qualifications. Please check below whether additional requirements apply to you. Also check the required documents under Admission and registration - Step 2.
Graduates from related programmes at Maastricht, Hasselt and Aachen universities
Graduates from the following bachelor’s programmes are directly admissible:
- Data Science and Knowledge Engineering from Maastricht University, BSc
- Computer Science from Hasselt University, BSc
- Scientific Programing from Aachen University (MATSE), BSc
Note: You must pass your bachelor’s exam by 31 August at the latest for the September intake or by 31 January for the February intake.
Graduates from other institutes:
Graduates from a university bachelor's programme in a related field
You will be considered eligible for admission by the Board of Admission if you have a BSc or an equivalent diploma in a programme whose content is a sufficient preparation for the Data Science for Decision Making master.
The relevant competences are:
- Mathematics: A strong background, including, but not limited to, calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics.
- Computer Science: Basic knowledge of data structures and algorithms, with some programming experience.
Bachelor's programmes in Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Artificial Intelligence, Econometrics, Engineering and Physics typically provide a sufficient preparation.
Graduates from a Dutch HBO in a related field
Excellent students with a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) degree in a related field, must additionally follow a one-semester pre-master programme at the Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering. Successful completion will give you access to the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making.
- In some cases, the Board might ask you to pass a GRE-test
- In case of deficiencies in your prior knowledge, the Board may require you to follow a one-semester pre-master programme at DKE
The pre-master programme is tailor-made based on your previous knowledge and skills. For more information, please contact boa[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl
1. Submit your curriculum vitae
All candidates must provide a cv. Please list your education, relevant extracurricular activities and internship/professional experience.
2. Write an essay of motivation
All candidates should write an essay of motivation, 2 pages in A4 format. Give good arguments about why you want to do this master's programme at Maastricht University, and why you expect that you can successfully complete the programme.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in English
Language requirements for English-language master programmes
In this study programme English is the language of instruction, therefore you have to be proficient in the English language. A minimum level corresponding to academic IELTS 6.5 is required for this study programme.
In case one or more of the conditions below applies to you, you automatically fulfill to the language requirement for this study programme:
- English is your native language*
- You have completed your preparatory training in a country where English is the national language and language of instruction in education (such as Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States)
You have completed a WO study programme in the Netherlands
- You have completed an English-language HBO or WO study programme
- You have completed an International or European Baccalaureate (IB)
- You can adhere to the language requirement in a different way, for example by obtaining an IELTS, a TOEFL-, TOEIC or a Cambridge certificate (or similar certification).
- Are you a student with a non-EER degree and you want to study in an English-language master programme? Then the guidelines of the Code of Conduct International Student apply. The Code of Conduct requires a language test.
* Definition of a native speaker:
a) someone who has followed education in English during 6 (or more) of his formative years (between 6 and 18 years old)
b) Someone who has completed a study in English language/literature (bachelor).
If UM, however, has reasonable doubts about your language skills, UM can set additional requirements to demonstrate the required language level.
You can apply for a credit transfer if you have completed courses at a recognized and accredited higher education institution, which was similar in terms of content and level.
For more information please contact dke-exams[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl