The admission requirements for the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making depend on your prior qualifications. Please check below whether additional requirements apply to you. Also check the required documents under Admission and registration - Step 2.
Graduates from related programmes at Maastricht, Hasselt and Aachen universities
Graduates from the following bachelor’s programmes are directly admissible:
- Data Science and Knowledge Engineering from Maastricht University, BSc
- Computer Science from Hasselt University, BSc
- Scientific Programing from Aachen University (MATSE), BSc
Note: You must pass your bachelor’s exam by 31 August at the latest for the September intake or by 31 January for the February intake.
Graduates from other institutes:
Graduates from a university bachelor's programme in a related field
You will be considered eligible for admission by the Board of Admission if you have a BSc or an equivalent diploma in a programme whose content is a sufficient preparation for the Data Science for Decision Making master.
The relevant competences are:
- Mathematics: A strong background, including, but not limited to, calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics.
- Computer Science: Basic knowledge of data structures and algorithms, with some programming experience.
Bachelor's programmes in Mathematics, Computer Science, Operations Research, Artificial Intelligence, Econometrics, Engineering and Physics typically provide a sufficient preparation.
Graduates from a Dutch HBO in a related field
Excellent students with a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) degree in a related field, must additionally follow a one-semester pre-master programme at the Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering. Successful completion will give you access to the master’s programme Data Science for Decision Making.
- In some cases, the Board might ask you to pass a GRE-test
- In case of deficiencies in your prior knowledge, the Board may require you to follow a one-semester pre-master programme at DKE
The pre-master programme is tailor-made based on your previous knowledge and skills. For more information, please contact boa[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl
1. Submit your curriculum vitae
All candidates must provide a cv. Please list your education, relevant extracurricular activities and internship/professional experience.
2. Write an essay of motivation
All candidates should write an essay of motivation, 2 pages in A4 format. Give good arguments about why you want to do this master's programme at Maastricht University, and why you expect that you can successfully complete the programme.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in English
Language requirements for English-language master programmes
As English is the language of instruction in this study programme, it is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake intensive and challenging academic courses that are taught and examined in English. A minimum level corresponding to academic IELTS 6.5 is required for this study programme.
You automatically meet the language requirements for this study programme if one or more of the following conditions apply:
- you have completed a bachelor’s or master’s study programme where the language of instruction is English
- you have obtained an International or European Baccalaureate, a US high school diploma or UK GCE A-levels
- you have completed a Dutch-taught programme at a university of applied sciences in the Netherlands (HBO) and are able to demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English, for example by English taught courses, internships or work experience in an English environment.
If none of these conditions apply, you can submit one of the following language test certificates (minimum scores between brackets). If you already have a language test certificate, we strongly recommend that you submit this certificate as part of your application.
- IELTS (6.5)
- TOEFL Paper-based test (575)
- TOEFL Internet test (90)
- TOEIC listening and reading (720) and speaking and writing (310)
- Cambridge [Advanced (CAE) Grade C (scale 180-184), First Certificate in English (FCE) Grade A (scale 180-184), First Certificate in English (FCE) Grade B (scale 176-179)]
- or similar accredited certification
Please note that UM can reject your application or set additional requirements if there are reasonable doubts about your English language proficiency.
You can apply for a credit transfer if you have completed courses at a recognized and accredited higher education institution, which was similar in terms of content and level.
For more information please contact dke-exams[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl