Why this programme?
Why do so many people intend to eat healthy but fail to do it? Can you encourage people to make better choices through subtle changes in their environment? And how can you best harness the power of social media to promote healthy habits? As a master’s student in Health Education and Promotion, you look at these and many other health education-related questions.
You learn how you can promote health and wellbeing by developing, implementing and evaluating interventions that encourage people to adopt a healthier lifestyle. And that’s quite a challenging task, since personal, environmental, social and political factors all influence individual behaviour. Upon graduation, you’ll be an expert at promoting health and well-being. Because after all, a gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure!
Unique focus on practical skills
The programme has a unique focus systematic development, evaluation and implementation of health interventions. It's also practice-based with skills training included in each course. This means you'll not only learn why health education and promotion programmes are (or aren’t) effective. You also learn how to formulate communication strategies and develop, execute and evaluate health interventions; giving you the theoretical and practical toolset you’ll need to launch your career.
You learn how to:
- analyse positive or negative effects of behavioural and environmental factors on the quality of life
- formulate specific and testable objectives for intervention
- design effective, scientific health promoting interventions
- formulate plans for the diffusion and implementation of these interventions
- test, evaluate and refine those interventions
- develop communication strategies to disseminate programmes to various audiences
I want to create awareness about the little steps people can take to live healthier and improve their quality of live.
Health Education and Promotion student Ingri Olsen posts weekly about her experiences.
She's happy to answer your questions about the programme and about (student) life in Maastricht.