Admission & registration
Admission and registration for the academic year 2021/22 for a master’s programme at Maastricht University (UM) consists of the following five steps.
Please read the procedure carefully and make sure to fulfil all steps in time. The deadline for this programme can be found under step 2: Check the application deadlines and register via Studielink.nl.
Admission and registration in 5 steps
Check the admission requirements
Do you meet the requirements?
Maastricht University (UM) assesses whether your prior education makes you admissible. Therefore, it is very important that you check beforehand whether you satisfy the requirements.
You will receive a message once the UM has made the decision. There is also a possibility that additional documents are required to assess your prior education. This will be requested by email, so keep an eye on your inbox.
Please note: Click on “Admission requirements” in the dark blue menu on the left side of this page, to find out more about the requirements for this programme.
Check the application deadlines and register via Studielink.nl.
Make an account and choose your programme
Applying via Studielink
You can register for a study programme via Studielink. In Studielink, you will have to indicate which programme you would like to register for. After registration in Studielink, you should start directly with step 3: Upload your documents.
If you are registered in a Dutch municipality, you can only register using your DigiD. If you do not yet have a DigiD, you will need to request one. If you do not (yet) live in the Netherlands, you still register via Studielink, but you will not be able to use DigiD. Instead, you create a Studielink account yourself and UM will check your personal details.
Start February 2022
Start admissions: 1 July 2021
- EU/EEA-students: up to and including 15 December 2021, 23:59 CET
- Non-EU/EEA-students who need a visa and/or residence permit: up to and including 1 November 2021, 23:59 CET
Start September 2021
Start admissions: 1 October 2020
- EU/EEA-students: up to and including 1 June 2021, 23:59 CET
- Non-EU/EEA-students who need a visa and/or residence permit: up to and including 1 May 2021, 23:59 CET
If you are unable to meet the deadlines, please contact the admissions office admissions-law[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl to discuss the possibilities.
- Deadlines for scholarships are often earlier than the dates mentioned above. Find out if you can apply for a scholarship or financial aid.
- In Studielink you need to choose the starting moment. Please make sure to select September 2021 in the pulldown menu if you want to start in September 2021, or select February 2022 if you want to start in February 2022.
Upload your documents in MyUM
Check what you need
After you have registered in Studielink, you will receive an email from UM within 24 hours. This email contains your personal student number and a password. You can use this information to access the MyUM portal, the intranet of Maastricht University.
In order to complete your registration, you need to upload several documents via MyUM as soon as possible, at least before the application deadline.
Please note: if you accidentally upload a wrong document in the MyUM portal, you can no longer remove it from your digital file. However, you can still upload the right document, but this does not replace the incorrect one. UM judges which documents are right.
- A recent passport picture: the passport picture must satisfy certain requirements.
- A copy of your passport or your EU/EEA identity card: make a copy of the page with your personal details. Save this copy as ‘passport copy’ and not as ‘passport picture’.
Please note: as a UM student it is not necessary to upload the above mentioned documents in the My UM portal. However, if your passport will not be valid on 1 September 2021, then you still have to upload a copy of your passport.
- A copy of your most recent certified grades transcript and a copy of your certified diploma if you have obtained it. If you have not graduated yet, you can upload your official grades transcript from your bachelor's programme.
- Letter of motivation (see Admission requirements)
- A letter of recommendation (see Admission requirements)
- Copy of your language test with sufficient results (if applicable) (see Admission requirements)
Only complete registrations will be taken into consideration. All documents must be in Dutch, English or German.
Please also send a certified copy of your diploma by regular post to:
Student Services Centre
Admissions & Registration
PO Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
Continuation of the admissions procedure
You (conditionally) meet the requirements and your application will be processed
Upon receipt of your application, your diploma will be evaluated to decide whether you are eligible for the programme.
Message about admission
Based on the documents you have submitted and the admission procedure for your chosen programme, the UM decides on whether to admit you. Once UM has made a decision on your admissibility, you will be informed about this by email.
Complete your registration at the UM
Fulfil all registration criteria and pay your tuition fees
After you have successfully completed step 4 you will receive a request of Maastricht University (UM) to pay your tuition fees.
Please make sure you pay your tuition fees in time. If the tuition fees are not paid in time it is not possible to start your studies.
Documents still required
If any of your documents are still missing, you will receive a message about this from UM. The documents concerned are listed in the message.
Questions about admission and registration?
Then contact the faculty of this master's programme via the Contact button on the left.