Boris Lokshin is associate professor at the department of Organization and Strategy, Maastricht University. He holds PhD in economics from the same university and an MA in economics from Indiana University, USA. From 2005 to 2007 he worked as researcher at the UNU Maastricht Economic and social Research and training center on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT). His research deals with various topics in the fields of innovation and entrepreneurship. His current research focuses on R&D collaboration, open innovation and IP, and top management team composition in relationship to firm performance. He has been consultant to the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs on evaluation of the effectiveness of Wage tax and Social Insurance Act (WBSO). Prior EU project involvement includes GlobiNN.
Most recent publications:
van Stel, A., Lokshin, B., & de Vries, N. (2019). The Effect of SME Productivity Increases on Large Firm Productivity in the EU. Kyklos, 72(2), 332-353. https://doi.org/10.1111/kykl.12198
Boone, C., Lokshin, B., Günter, H., & Belderbos, R. (2019). Top management team nationality diversity, corporate entrepreneurship, and innovation in multinational firms. Strategic Management Journal, 40(2), 277-302. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.2976
Carree, M., Lokshin, B., & Alvarez Alvarez, H. (2019). Technology partnership portfolios and firm innovation performance: Further evidence. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 54, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jengtecman.2019.07.001
Hagedoorn, J., Lokshin, B., & Zobel, A-K. (2018). Partner Type Diversity in Alliance Portfolios: Multiple Dimensions, Boundary Conditions and Firm Innovation Performance. Journal of Management Studies, 55(5), 809-836. https://doi.org/10.1111/joms.12326
Hagedoorn, J., Lokshin, B., & Malo, S. (2018). Alliances and the innovation performance of corporate and public research spin-off firms. Small Business Economics, 50(4), 763-781. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-017-9894-2
Belderbos, R., Gilsing, V., Lokshin, B., Carree, M., & Sastre, J. F. (2018). The antecedents of new R&D collaborations with different partner types: On the dynamics of past R&D collaboration and innovative performance . Long Range Planning, 51(2), 285-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2017.10.002
Belderbos, R., Jacob, J., & Lokshin, B. (2018). Corporate venture capital (CVC) Investments and Technological Performance: Geographic Diversity and the Interplay with Technology Alliances. Journal of Business Venturing, 33(1), 20–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2017.10.003
Sabidussi, A., Lokshin, B., & Duijsters, G. (2018). Complementarity in alliance portfolios and firm innovation. Industry and Innovation, 25(7), 633-654. https://doi.org/10.1080/13662716.2017.1329084
Zobel, A-K., Lokshin, B., & Hagedoorn, J. (2017). Formal and informal appropriation mechanisms: The role of openness and innovativeness. Technovation, 59(1), 44-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2016.10.001
Hagedoorn, J., Lokshin, B., & Malo, S. (2017). Alliances and the innovation performance of corporate and public research spin-off firms. Paper presented at EURAM conference 2017, Glasgow, United Kingdom. http://druid8.sit.aau.dk/druid/registrant/index/login/cid/20
Publications in international refereed journals
- ‘Returns to foreign R&D’ (with Belderbos, R., Sadowski, B.), Journal of International Business Studies, forthcoming.
- ‘Impact of external knowledge acquisition strategies on innovation: A comparative study based on Dutch and Swiss panel data’ (with Arvanitis, S., Mohnen, P., Woerter, M.), Review of Industrial Organization, forthcoming.
- ‘Inter-temporal patterns of R&D collaboration and innovative performance’ (with Belderbos, R., Carree, M., Sastre, J.), Journal of Technology Transfer, (2015) 40: 123-137.
- ‘Returns to alliance portfolio diversity: The relative effects of partner diversity on firm’s innovative performance and productivity’ (with de Leeuw, T., Duysters, G.), Journal of Business Research, (2014) 67: 1839-1849.
- ‘A comparative perspective on external technology sourcing modalities: the role of synergies’ (with Sabidussi, A., Duysters, G., Leeuw, T., Bremmers, H., Omta, O.) Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, (2014) 33: 18-31.
- ‘Do R&D tax incentives lead to higher wages for R&D workers? Evidence from the Netherlands’ (with Mohnen, P.), Research Policy, (2013) 42: 823-830.
- ‘Innovativeness and broadcaster listenership: evidence from the German radio industry’ (with Knippen, C.), Journal of Media Business Studies, (2013) 10: 1-16.
- ‘Do firms learn to manage alliance portfolio diversity? The diversity-performance relationship and the moderating effects of experience and capability’ (with Duysters, G., Heimeriks, K., Meijer, E., Sabidussi, A.), European Management Review, (2012) 9: 139-152.
- ‘Persistence and interrelation in horizontal and vertical technology alliance formation’ (with Belderbos, R., Gilsing, V.), Journal of Management, (2012) 38: 1788-1811.
- ‘How effective are level-based R&D tax credits? Evidence from the Netherlands’ (with Mohnen, P.), Applied Economics, (2012) 44: 1527-1538.
- ‘The bumpy road of technology partnerships: Understanding causes and consequences of partnership mal-functioning’ (with Hagedoorn, J., Letterie, W.), Research Policy, (2011) 40: 297-308.
- ‘A note on testing for complementarity and substitutability in the case of multiple practices’ (with Carree, M., Belderbos, R.), Journal of Productivity Analysis, (2011) 35: 263-269.
- ‘Determinants of alliance portfolio complexity and its effect on innovative performance of companies’ (with Duysters, G.), Journal of Product Innovation Management, (2011) 28: 570-585.
- ‘Further results on bias in dynamic unbalanced panel data models with an application to firm R&D investment’, Applied Economics Letters, (2009) 16: 1227-33.
- ‘Crafting firm competencies to improve innovative performance’ (with Van Gils, A., Bauer, E.) European Management Journal, (2009) 27: 187-96.
- ‘The productivity effects of internal and external R&D: Evidence from Dutch panel data’ (with Belderbos, R., Carree, M.), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, (2008) 70: 399-413.
- ‘A Monte Carlo comparison of alternative estimators for dynamic panel data models’, Applied Economics Letters, (2008) 15: 15-18.
- ‘Complementarity in R&D cooperation strategies’ (with Belderbos, R., Carree, M.), Review of Industrial Organization, (2006) 28: 401-26.
- ‘Heterogeneity in R&D cooperation strategies’ (with Belderbos, R., Carree, M., Diederen, B., Veugelers, R.), International Journal of Industrial Organization, (2004) 22: 1237-1263.
- ‘Cooperative R&D and firm performance’ (with Belderbos, R., Carree, M.), Research Policy, (2004) 33: 1477-1492.
Publications in books and edited volumes
- ‘What does it take for an R&D tax incentive policy to be effective?’ (with Mohnen, P.), in Reforming rules and regulations Ed. Ghosal, V. (2010)
- ‘International technology alliances, technology-based M&A, and the innovative performance of EU and non-EU firms’ FP7 GlobInn, Work Package 2.4, 2010.
- ‘Evaluation of The Wage tax and Social Insurance Act 2001-2005’ (Dutch title: ‘Wet Bevordering Speur - en Ontwikkelingswerk Evaluatie 2001-2005: Effecten, Doelgroepbereik en Uitvoering’) 2007, Ministry of Economic Affairs, The Netherlands.