Student life in Venlo

Introduction Days

The Campus Venlo Introduction Days offer you as a new student the opportunity to get to know Campus Venlo. You will receive the necessary practical information in several information sessions, but of course it is not all about work. There will be ample opportunity to get to know the city and your fellow students during various informal activities.

Participation in the Introduction Days is compulsory

Students who are admitted to one of the Campus Venlo study programmes will receive an invitation for the Introduction Days by e-mail with more information.

A detailed version of the programme will be sent to you upon registration. 

29, 30 and 31 August

Registration and programme
Via this link

Pick-Up Service

Campus Venlo offers pick-up service to international students from train station Venlo. New students will be guided to their accommodation.

The pick-up service is free of charge and offered in January and August. For students starting in September, pick-up is available from 22 until 30 August. If you would like to make use of this service, please send an e-mail to ucv-info[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl

Travel directions to Venlo from the main international airports can be found here.

Sports in Venlo

Between the VenloopVenloStormt (website is in Dutch) and VVV-Venlo (website is in Dutch), there is ample choice of sports in Venlo. Whether you like to watch, or practice sports, Venlo has a broad offer. You can visit the municipal pool (website is in Dutch), or join a one of the many sports associations (website is in Dutch).

International Study Association UMAMI

ISA Umami is the study association for students of the master Health Food Innovation Management. Umami provides support for members where it's necessary and organizes educational activities. Furthermore, ISA Umami's goal is to offer students insights into real world applications outside the university. the most important way to achieve their goal is to establish a direct link between companies and the students.

Accommodation in Venlo

Venlo is an intimate and cosy city in the North of Limburg approximately 80km from Maastricht. The best way to experience the 'Venlo Student Life' is living in Venlo. Together with the Student Info Point, Maastricht University works at expanding the offer of student housing in Venlo.

If you are looking for a (un)furnished  room in Venlo, we recommend the following websites:

B@sic Dutch

In period two the Maastricht University Language Centre will offer a B@sic Dutch course for students (speaker of other languages than German) at Campus Venlo. In seven weeks, you will learn basic Dutch, with a focus on speaking and listening skills.

For more information visit the website 

If you want to register select the course: Venlo BD1- Basic Dutch 1 for students at Venlo campus.

Registration with the city council

Each person registering at Maastricht University is required to register in the municipal personal records database (the official name of the Dutch population register; abbreviated to GBA). The Dutch Government cannot function efficiently without having correct, up-to-date information on its citizens.

Moving to Venlo from abroad
To enable a smooth and quick registration, group sessions are organised at the Venlo City Hall. If you move to Venlo please register for a group meeting.

Please bring:

  • A legalized/certified, (translated) birth certificate.
  • Your residence permit.
  • Your valid passport.
  • Proof of your marital status (if applicable).
  • A completed registration form (received upon arrival).

Already living in the Netherlands
If you come from abroad, but have lived in another Dutch city before moving to Venlo, a short procedure can be followed. You can visit the City Council. Please bring you passport and proof of previous GBA registration.

Contact us if you need more information.

Opening a Dutch bank account

At Maastricht University (UM) you can opt to pay your tuition fees in instalments. This option is available to all students with a SEPA (Euro) bank account.

Students from SEPA countries
Are you from one of the SEPA countries? Please pay your tuition fee with your SEPA bank account from your country of origin. You do not need to open a Dutch bank account to pay your tuition fee (in instalments).

Non-European students
Non-European students or other students from non SEPA countries, interested in paying in instalments, can do so by opening a European (SEPA) bank account. UM has concluded an agreement with the ING bank to help students open a Dutch bank account quickly and easily, even if they do not have a Dutch Citizen Service Number (BSN). You are free to choose which Dutch bank you would like to open an account with, but bear in mind that each bank has its own terms and conditions.

Where should I go to open a bank account?
Please visit the ING bank to open a bank account. 

ING Bank 
Keulsepoort 10, Venlo
Mo, Tu, We, Fr: 9.30 – 18.00
Th: 9:30 – 20:00 hours
Sa: 9:30 – 16:00 hours

What do you need to open a bank account?

  • A valid form of ID
    European ID card for EU nationals or a passport for non-EU nationals.
  • A valid proof of residence
    If you are a student from a country that does not use SEPA, a valid address in Belgium or Germany will be accepted (excluding hotels).
  • UM Declaration of Application
    Non-EU students who live in Belgium or Germany need to bring a UM Declaration of Application to ING. This form is available at the SSC Information Desk. It needs to be stamped and signed by the SSC.

When will my account be activated?
ING will make sure you will be able to use your new bank account immediately!

Visa Office

If you are a national of a country other than those within the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you need an entrance visa and/or residence permit to live in the Netherlands for more than three months. The application for this entrance visa and/or residence permit is done by the Visa Office of Maastricht University after you have been (provisionally) admitted. Depending on your nationality, you may also have to do a tuberculosis test. Nationals from an EU-member state or Switzerland may voluntarily register their residence in the Netherlands.

After their arrival, all foreign students need to register in the municipal register of the city where they are going to live.

For more information on entrance visas, residence permits and other related procedures, visit the web pages of our Visa Office.

If you have any questions about residence permits or visas, you can e-mail the Visa Office at visa[at]maastrichtuniversity[dot]nl.

Campus Venlo - Introduction Days