Maastricht University Law College (UMLC)
- extra-curricular programme for bachelor students
- three-year programme of 36 ECTS
- courses taught in both English and Dutch
- a multitude of academic and extracurricular activities
- core programme and two tracks: Law in Practice and Legal Research
- supported by a mentor and portfolio programme
The Maastricht University Law College (UMLC) is an extra-curricular programme for students who have the potential to excel. The UMLC offers its students an open and collaborative learning environment, in which students and staff work closely together and participate in a multitude of academic and extracurricular activities.
The UMLC programme offers a broader approach to studying the law and has three main focus areas:
- Understanding the law in its societal context, which requires looking at legal problems from perspectives that come from outside the law
- Understanding how the law works in practice by discussing legal problems with a variety of legal professionals and by engaging in simulations
- Developing an understanding of legal research methods
The UMLC constitutes a three-year programme of 36 ECTS that students follow in addition to the regular bachelor programme in Dutch Law, Fiscal Law or European Law School. It comprises a core programme and two tracks: Law in Practice and Legal Research. It is supported by a mentor and portfolio programme that supports the learning process and monitors learning progress.
The Maastricht University Law College is for students who demonstrate a potential to excel at their studies and are keen to explore how they can develop their academic and personal skills and talents to become tomorrow’s leaders in for instance research, law, business, government and policy.
- Substantive workshops dealing with the concrete issues such as global concerns, European legislation and conflict resolution
- Talent development workshops aimed at developing a multitude of skills such as legal writing, analysis, research, presentations, rhetoric and debate, leadership, collaboration and strategic thinking
- Guest speakers: lawyers, judges, scholars, policy makers, representatives of NGOs, and scholars from a variety of disciplines
- Mentor programme: personal development programme tailored to each student
- E-portfolio: A unique form of assessment that allows students and staff to follow personal and academic growth
- Courses taught in both English and Dutch
Use Law Blogs Maastricht for your
indepth knowledge of legal issues
Law Blogs Maastricht is where the Faculty of Law posts blogs and research output on a wide variety of issues and current events. Use this site as a study aide and to keep abreast of legal issues and developments. Consult the blogs regularly for short legal analysis as well as other research output by staff.
Law Blogs Maastricht is a useful tool for a good comprehension of your courses and as inspiration for papers and essays. We publish blogs, posts about events, books and short videos with legal comments and current analysis.