RT @observantUM: “You must take time to rest, there isn’t enough of that at the university. There is hardly any possibility to recover. Eve…
FEM - Female Empowerment UM
FEM is a network of staff at Maastricht University, from both academic and administrative backgrounds. Our mission is to promote the empowerment of women and female leadership at the university, and to foster a broader culture that supports gender equity and diversity.
- Raise awareness of problems regarding gender equality and equity within the UM community
- Encourage an open discussion and welcoming all viewpoints on gender equality
- Delineate areas requiring attention and help shape policies that increase gender diversity
- Facilitate collaborative interaction between junior and senior researchers, staff from different faculties and different positions (administration and academic)
- Increase the visibility of women at the university
- Promote female academic leadership at the university
- Cooperate with other platforms with a similar vision within and outside the Netherlands (e.g. Landelijk Netwerk Vrouwelijke Hoogleraren, European Women in Mathematics)
To realise these goals, FEM organises different activities for academic and administrative staff members at UM. Those are grouped into categories:
FEM organises tailored workshops that: (i) build academic skills and leadership qualities; (ii) strengthen communication and promotion (e.g. negotiation skills) and (iii) raise awareness of behaviour-related topics, e.g. implicit bias, bystander intervention techniques.
In 2019, FEM successfully ran a mentorship pilot programme. In 2020, we aim to set up a mentoring programme on a thematic group-basis. There, members of our community may receive mentoring on topics such as grant applications, promotions, etc.
We provide fora for various networking events: an annual large event and bimonthly lunches on various topics where participants can debate relevant topics around UM policy or general academic politics on gender issues, e.g. tenure track policy, family friendly work conditions, book clubs. Since 2020, FEM is also present on Twitter and Facebook at @FemMaastricht.
We focus on information transfer via UM's intranet: info on relevant events, grant competitions and other career opportunities, books and other sources relating to gender issues in academia. We also disseminate relevant information through our own networks and through the FEM Ambassadors.
The FEM Team
FEM was established by a group of female academics working at different faculties of Maastricht University.
Current executive Board of FEM:
- Christina Peristeridou (Faculty of Law)
- Aurélie Carlier (MERLN, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences)
- Constance Sommerey (Diversity & Inclusivity Office)
- Luana Russo (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences)
- Rianne Fijten (Maastro Clinic)
- Alexx Allen-de Rijk (School of Business and Economics)
- Nicolette Engelen (Academic affairs)
- Teresa Schumann (Faculty of Psycholgy and Neurosciences)
- Katrien Bernaerts (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Previous board members:
- Alie de Boer (Food Claims Centre Venlo)
- Christel van Gool (Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences)
- Sophie Kells (Marketing & Communications)
- Aida Abiad Monge (School of Business and Economics)
The FEM Board is supported by a team of dedicated FEM ambassadors:
Fèlix Ruiz Cabré
Berta Cillero Pastor