Personal profile page
prof. dr M.G.W.M. Peeters (Marjan)
Professor of environmental policy and law
Phone number: +31 43 3883230
Marjan Peeters holds the position of Professor of Environmental Policy and Law since 1 April 2008. She defended her PhD on tradable pollution rights in 1992. Between 1993 and 2002 she gained practical experience as environmental lawyer at the Dutch Ministry of Water Management and Transportation.
Since 2001 she works at the Faculty of Law at Maastricht University. Marjan focuses on different topics of environmental law, with an emphasis on legal aspects of climate policies. Marjan is co-editor of several books in the field of climate law, which are EU Climate Change Policy: the Challenge of New Regulatory Instruments (2006), Climate Change and EU Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading: Lessons for Theory and Practice (2008), Climate Change Liability (2011), and Climate Law in EU member states (2012).
Marjan is inter alia:
- coordinator of the master course European environmental law (Law Faculty) and of the course Sustainability, Law and the Environment at the Master Sustainability Science and Policy (ICIS institute).
- member and coordinator of the Research Group Environmental Law of the Ius Commune researchschool (www.iuscommune.eu).
- since January 2008 member of the governing board of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law (www.iucnael.org) (term runs till December 2012).
- member of the editorial board of the Dutch Journal of Environmental Law (in Dutch: Tijdschrift voor Milieu en Recht) and of Climate Law.
Professional Career History
- invited professor at the Université de Liége from 2010 till august 2012, teaching the master course EU environmental law and Climate Change
- member of the governing board of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law (www.iucnael.org) (January 2008 - December 2012).
- initiator and chair of a Dutch working group to the Dutch Association of Environmental Law, focusing on Legal Aspects of Climate Change (2004-2011).
- member of the core team for an extensive research project for the Dutch Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment (www.evaluatiemilieuwetgeving.nl) (2004-2010)
- coordinator of the research project ´Emissions trading and competitive positions` (2004-2009).
Environmental law; Climate and energy law.
Marjan is coordinator of the elective master course European environmental law at the Law Faculty and the obligatory master course Sustainability, Law and the Environment part of the Master Sustainability Science and Policy (ICIS institute). Next to that she teaches at bachelor level International Environmental Law for Australian students (Centre for European Studies).
Marjan is for one day a week connected to the ICIS institute, Maastricht University.
From 1 June 2012 till the end of May 2014 she works for one day a week in a research project from Leuphana University, Germany, focussing on renewable energy.