Prior to commencing activities
Ensure that you are always fully informed of the following important information relating to your working environment:
- central internal emergency number 1333 and how to use it correctly
- emergency exit route and plans of emergency exits (available in all departments)
- location of available extinguisher and first-aid materials
- location and function of emergency shower
- location and function of eye-wash or other suitable eye-rinsing facilities
- practise how to reach eye-rinsing facilities with eyes closed
- practise how to use eye-wash bottle and check expiry date
- specific risks and hazards of that department (instruction and prohibition signs in use)
- persons to contact for relevant information and advice: managers, the department’s health and safety (EHS) contact person, if applicable the local specialist members, emergency assistance (BHV) team
- members of the emergency assistance team and first aiders (‘BHV-EHBO’) team.
- Ensure that the supervisor or manager provides you with sufficient information and instructions.
- Make a list of the risks associated with substances and potential intermediary and end-products, in the interests of yourself, your colleagues, the experiment, your surroundings and the environment. To this end you can consult the Tremcard book, Safety information Sheets (VIB or MSDS), Risk and Safety phrases (see R- and S-phrases), the supplier’s website or the Environment, Health and Safety Department (see ‘Dangerous reactions of individual chemicals and between chemicals’).
- Find out whether alternative substances or techniques could be used that involve less risk.
- Check that equipment, facilities and/or PPE function properly.
- Always ensure that entrances, corridors, pathways in laboratories, steps, exits, first-aid equipment and escape routes are kept free of obstructions
- Notify the room manager or the manager immediately of any hazardous or risky situations.
- Ensure that visitors are informed of the applicable regulations within Maastricht University.