As part of your bachelor’s programme at UM you can get acquainted with a different field of study by taking a minor at another faculty. A minor consists of several courses which together provide an excellent introduction to another specialisation or part of it.
- You broaden your knowledge and understanding
- You return to your own discipline with new insights and ideas
- You develop academic skills which may receive less attention in your own discipline
- You increase your chances of moving on to a master’s programme outside your discipline
- And you develop added value for the labour market: you distinguish yourself as an ambitious academic with broad interests
You can take a Minor in the fifth semester of your Bachelor’s. Electives in the form of university-wide Minors will earn you a minimum of 18 ECTS and a maximum of 30 ECTS.
While booking courses of a university-wide Minor programme you might come across different options:
1. The university wide minor you want to take is part of the regular course offer in your Bachelor programme
- You can book these Minor courses directly via the My UM Portal (you will find these courses in your booking chart). The ECTS you obtain will be assigned to your Bachelor programme automatically without interposition of the Board of Examiners.
2. The university wide minor you want to take is not part of the regular course offer in your Bachelor programme:
- You should apply via the Special Course Approval procedure via the My UM Portal. Please find the manual for Special Course Approval in the Portal as well.
- Your request is assessed by your home faculty. After approval the request will be forwarded to the offering faculty who assesses if you can be registered (is there still place, do you meet entrance requirements etc.).
- After approval you will receive further information on the registration procedure.
- Registration deadlines 2012/13 are applicable (29 July 2012 for period 1 (15 July 2012 for SBE courses!), 16 September 2012 for period 2 and 11 November 2012 for period 3).
Please note: UCM students are not allowed to take a Minor.
Please find an overview of the university-wide Minors offered in 2012/13 below:
|Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS)||* Crucial Differences
* Arts and Heritage/Kunst, Cultuur en Musea
* European Studies
* Globalisation and Development
* A Non-European Modernity: India in a Globalising World
* Creative writing
* Art, Law and Policy Making (in cooperation with FL)
|Faculty of Law (FL)||* Art, Law and Policy Making (in cooperation with FASoS)
* Law and Governance in Europe
|Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences (FHML)||* Biomedical Sciences
* Mental Health
* Health Promotion
* Health Policy
* Biological Health
* European Public Health
|Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience (FPN)||* Psychology (maximum of 24 students)||18|
|School of Business and Economics (SBE)|| * Entrepreneurship
* Doing Business in Asia
|Faculty of Humanities and Sciences – Department of Knowledge Engineering (FHS-DKE)|| * Data and Knowledge
* Operations Research
|Faculty of Humanities and Sciences (FHS) - Teachers Academy||* Minor in Education||30|